Monday, October 16, 2017

My Stress and Benzos

***MASHUP***
Things Happen For A Reason” 
~and~
Precisely What's Wrong In This Country

         I recently had an experience that I believe was providential, albeit upsetting…  
Meant to be, because it perfectly encapsulates what I and a growing number of informed citizens are realizing is a massive problem in this country; that being:  
Ass-u-me-ing a pill will “fix it”.
The scenario was the day I blogged last month about TEARS. 
(Read that, if you haven’t…it was inspired by this event.)
         Last month, for the second day in a row, my left fingers were numb.  I didn’t think much the first day, but by day two, coupled with my ongoing “broken heart syndrome” and my history of having been diagnosed by a top Vanderbilt Cardiologist of heart spasm… Plus, add in the stress of dealing with the horrors my brother is enduring (criminalization due to “mental illness”), and fighting that mountainous monster (which includes Big Pharma, the American Psychiatric Association, and potentially Oklahoma Department of Mental Health & Substance Abuse Services, etc.).  This isn’t a David and Goliath fight. 
This feels more like Erin Brockovich vs The Tobacco Industry/GOT White Walkers, and Slavery, combined.  I pray that doesn’t offend anyone, but since Jeff (my brother) has been force-drugged with RX that has only served to injure him for almost three decades, and then was held alone in segregation in Tulsa County jail last year for 111 days, maybe you can overlook the PC.  (Thank you.)
         Cutting to the chase.  On September 20th I went to the ED (that’s the same as ER, for those not in the medical field) to get an EKG and testing to be sure I wasn’t having a cardiac event.  By choice, I stayed overnight in the hospital so they could do a deeper check, and then to give me a stress test on treadmill the next morning.  To be sure, my heart is fine.  (No worries, mom…)  And I left for a lovely Arizona adventure the very next day.  As mentioned, I even blogged while in the hospital THAT NIGHT about crying, and this is why.
         I picked up those hospital records this week.  It shows, the ED Physician Report says (accurately) that I (the patient) had “No acute distress.  Cooperative, appropriate mood & affect.”  Of course!  Then, after eight hours, when I chose to stay overnight to make sure my heart was good to go, the Physician’s Assistant (PA) came for a new “inpatient” intake. She was kind, and I answered her basic questions easily, honestly and without worry.  She spent a whopping FIVE MINUTES with me.  When she asked why I have stress, I simply told her that I am dealing with some long-term legal issues in my family.  I got teary when telling her just that much.  No details.  This is how I roll. (Remember, tears HELP by releasing stress hormones…keep that in mind!)
         I’m the type that wants to be thoroughly checked.  Plus, knowing I was about to travel for three weeks, I wanted to be sure I wasn’t on the verge of death!  (<< okay lol, drama…I’m a writer/actor - so sue me.)  At that point, they took me to a room on the cardiac floor.  My husband was with me.  The nurse came in, went over my chart, seeing that I take vitamins, an occasional aspirin and sometimes Zyrtec. That’s it.  Pretty good for a 53 year old.  Then the nurse said in a surprised voice, “Do you take Klonopin?”  AND IN MY IMMEDIATE HORROR, I replied, “NO.”  You see, I knew…I KNEW what was about to go down.  Thankfully the nurse was AWESOME.  She could plainly see that I was in no need of an anxiety drug!  She replied with “This has to be a mistake.”  I told her I’ve never taken any drug like that, and will never.  Then, she left to go talk to the doctor.
         About an hour later, the doctor came in and addressed what the nurse had spoken to him about, and of course my heart non-issue.  (I’m healthy, all the way around.)  I told him the irony of what the PA recommended (Klonopin) in context of the legal issues that are my main stressor.  That my brother’s chronic mental issues are directly related to forced drugging of neuroleptic anti-psychotics, SSRI’s and benzodiazepines, over 30 years.  That these powerful drugs need to be carefully administered, and each person needs to be screened for drug tolerance.  Doing an intake with five questions is not sufficient to THINK I need a BENZO.  He pretty much shrugged, smiled, and said “benzos” are safe.  WHAT?!!!!!  This blew my mind.
         So I told my VERY intelligent therapist (also a doctor), and she affirmed that no, benzos can be harmful.  She pointed me in the direction of this article from the British Medical Journal: http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g5205  which apparently had a ripple effect in the United States, causing physicians here to scale back on the benzo-scripting.  Not so fast!!  This study concludes, “Benzodiazepine use is associated with an increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease” etc.  After this study, the “norm” NOW is to try NOT to prescribe benzos.  So what is going on at the very respected hospital that was checking my heart???  I dunno, but it’s definitely cause for concern.  Aren’t doctors supposed to adhere to a protocol of “Informed Consent” https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=22414 ?
The nurse was told to give me Klonopin, until she saw for herself that I was no candidate for such a drug. Kudos to that NURSE!  On the other hand, the PA, NOT knowing my LIFE, and assuming a PILL will ease my anxiety?  How about the opposite effect, instead?  This stressed me out even more!  BIG FAT NO to Klonopin!!!  Plus, the PA didn’t read the initial ED doctor’s report that my psyche upon admit just a few hours earlier, was PERFECTLY FINE.  The issues regarding Jeff are cry-worthy!  Just get me talking about him and the tears well up.  Apparently that’s when PHARMA steps in.  NO! NO! and NO!
         This is scary.  How many times a day in how many hospitals, are people being given addictive or dependent drugs (which this IS!), that they don’t know could hurt them???  I did NOT need Klonopin.  My therapist agrees, and she knows me much better than that PA and that Cardiologist.  Oh, and btw, after I explained (without tears, but firmly) to the cardiologist the reason I do not need a benzo (and my husband was witness, in the room), the hospital records state that doctor “agrees with the PA.” 
         WRONG. 
     But I do believe this all happened for a reason.  I believe I was meant to live this experience, and WRITE ABOUT IT.  And THIS, my fellow Americans is PRECISELY THE PROBLEM, in this country.  Doctors need to stop the DRUG PUSHING, and stop assuming there’s something wrong with tearing up over major life issues.  Anyone that KNOWS ME, knows my tears are an absolutely normal response to hard-core stress and my loving compassion for my family.  If that warrants an Alzheimer-inducing BENZO, then GOD HELP US.
      This INDUSTRY is churning out doctors, PA’s and hospitals that aren’t caring about the individual enough to ask and inform, and are instead, causing more harm by peddling prescriptions that are not needed…not one, single bit.  Addiction and dependence ensue, and then…more drugs, more money, more problems.  Stop the madness.
        This has to change. And maybe I’m just the person to BRING IT.
        
I've since learned that my numb fingers are due to entrapped nerves. A great doctor gave me stretches, a list of anti-inflammatory foods, and told me I should exercise more.  Perfection.
         ********************************************
The worst shooting in American history happened since that day. So, I should add that Valium was prescribed to the shooter. Valium is a benzo.  Worth thinking about.  http://www.thealternativedaily.com/las-vegas-shooter-was-taking-valium-before-rampage/


JACKIE WELTON DiPILLO

3 comments:

Marilyn Welton said...

Great article, Jackie. Thanks for calling me.

Unknown said...

Hey Jackie, have you tried an athletic therapist or massage therapist? I couldn't type for 3 or 4 years because of finger pain, and an AT found the problem and fixed it (with massage) within 5 months. Stretches can also be great, but massage gets right in there and loosens up some really deep tension.

I think that doctors and nurses in hospitals often offer benzos because they're really not trained to do anything else, but they still want to "help".

jdipi said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Sara. I am in that process and it is helping. Much appreciated. Someone also suggested a physiatrist, which I had never heard of. I'll be checking that out, soon. :)